Often overlooked, gutters are an essential part of your home. Their main job is divert water safely away from your home, protecting areas like your foundation, landscape, and basement from expensive water related issues.
With so many different gutters on the market, it can be difficult to choose which ones are right for you. In this article, we explain the different types of gutters, where to buy gutters, and how to protect them once they are installed.
Types of Gutters
There are many different types of gutters that vary in shape, size, and materials. Here are some of the most common gutters:
- Aluminum Gutters: The most popular type of gutter is made of seamless aluminum, otherwise known as K style gutters. Aluminum gutters are strong and lightweight. Seamless aluminum gutters are beneficial because they are installed in just once piece, so you are less likely to experience any leaks
- Wood Gutters:Wood gutters are quite rare. You’ll usually find these types of gutters on older homes. They are expensive, starting at $15 per linear foot. Additionally, upkeep can be exhausting. Homeowners will wood gutters will have to maintain the inside and outside of the gutter with regular paint and sealing to protect their entire home from water related damages.
- Plastic Gutters: Plastic gutters are made of durable, long-lasting vinyl. They are a great low-cost option for homeowners.
- Copper Gutters: Copper gutters are usually reserved for classic restorations. They can be a beautiful addition to older homes. Copper gutters are quite durable. In fact, they will never rust and never need painting. They are an expensive gutter option, but will last up to 100 years, making them the most long-lasting type of gutter.
- Steel Gutters: Galvanized steel gutters can stand up to fallen branches, twigs, and leaves, better than aluminum gutters, however, thick galvanized steel will eventually rust and need to be repainted – both inside and out! Stainless steel gutters, on the other hand, are strong and rust-free. They maintain their high sheen for years to come. Like copper gutters, stainless steel gutters can be quite expensive.
Where to Buy Gutters & Price of Gutters
Gutters can be found at many home improvement stores, but it’s definitely worth it to do your research on which type of material you are looking for. We recommend going with a seamless aluminum gutter. Since they have no seams, they will have no leaks. These type of gutters are installed directly onto your home and fit the exact length needed for each part of your home.
Price for seamless gutters will vary on a number of different factors including:
• Roof size
• Number and placement of sloped surfaces
• Number of miters needed
• Number of downspouts
Guarding your Gutters
Once your new gutters are installed on your home, you’ll want to protect your gutters with a gutter protection system, like LeafFilter. LeafFilter not only ends the continuous chore of gutter cleaning, but it protects your home from water related issues.
LeafFilter is the most effective gutter protection system on the market, keeping out leaves, debris, maple spinners, and pine needles. The surgical grade-stainless steel material ensures nothing will adhere to the system. Instead, debris is diverted over the subtle drip edge, while water is pulled through the screen and carried safely away from your home.
Although LeafFilter installs right on top of your existing gutters, if you are in the market for new seamless gutters, LeafFilter can install new gutters during the installation of LeafFilter. When you choose LeafFilter, you won’t have to worry about where to buy gutters or how to install gutters yourself. Plus, you’ll never have to worry about gutter cleaning again!